To Create Goals
- Click on the Admin link in the profile you want to create the goals in. Admin link is located on the right hand side (see image below)
- Click on a +Goal under the Goal Set you want to create this goal under (Also see – What are Goals and Goal Sets in Google Analytics)
- On the next screen
- Give the Goal a name
- Chose “Active” or Inactive” – Inactive means that data won’t be tracked. You will want to do this if you no longer need that goal but do not want to delete it.
- Choose The “Goal Type” – Goals are based on URL, Time on Site metrics, Page Views/Visit metrics and Events. Choose the type and it will open a new screen depending on the type you selected. (See below for the various types)
- Once all the data is entered click on “Save” button and your goal will be created.
- You will start to see these goals in your reports (refer back to “Goals and Goal Sets” post to see the reports)
Various “Goal Types”
There are 4 goals types currently supported in Google Analytics (see the screen above)
- URL Destination – You can choose any URL(s) that you want as an end action e.g. thankyou.html
- Time on Site – Pick a time that indicates that your site is successful in accomplishing the goals. E.g. visits that spend over 10 mins
- Page View/Visit – Pick number of page views/visit that indicate success e.g. visits that viewed more than 7 pages
- Event – Choose any event(s) that you want to track as end action