Google Webmaster tool provides information on the keywords that your site appeared for on Google, the number of impressions of those keywords, your sites ranking for those keywords, the number of clicks to your site for each keyword and the pages that the visitors landed on. It really important for Search Engine Optimization purposes to know how your site is appearing in Google search engine.
Once you connect your Google Analytics account with a site listed in Google Webmaster tool you will be able to see Google Webmaster reports in Google Analytics in Traffic Source –> Search Engine Optimization report (see below)
How to Connect Google Analytics and Webmaster Tools
- Go to http://www.google.com/webmastertools and setup an account for your site. You will be asked to verify that you are the owner of the site
- Once you have verified the ownership you are ready to link your site to Google Analytics
- To link the two accounts go to the “Property Settings” tab of your Google Analytics profile. There is a “Wheel” icon on the right hand side on Google Analytics (see below). Click on that icon to go to “Property Settings” section of your profile. (see below)
- Click on the “Edit” link in the “Webmaster Tools Settings” section (see below)
- It will open a page that will allow you to select your site. Select the profile and you will be back in Google Analytics.
- If you have multiple profiles using the same tracking code then you will have an option to apply the site to all those profiles or you can just choose the ones that you want. That option will be available in the dropdown next to “Enabled Profiles” text.
- Hit the “Apply” button and you should start to see your data in the “Search Engine Optimization” report.