As I wrote in my previous article, Google Analytic drops few cookies that helps it produce the nice reports that you in Google Analytics interface. One of those cookies is _umta. This cookie is used to determine the unique visitor, visit count and recency. Below is an explanation of this cookie.
_utma cookie consists of 6 parts separated by “.”
- A hash key that identifies the domain an is unique for each domain.
- Unique visitor id
- Timestamp of the first visit of that visitor
- Timestamp of the previous visit – the one that preceded the current one
- Timestamp of the current visit
- Total visits by the visitor
The final cookie looks like this
[domain identifier].[unique visitor id].[timstamp of first visit].[timestamp of previous visit].[timestamp of current visit].[total visits]
See the figure below to see the final output